Thursday, October 27, 2011
Sleep Hollow Comparison
In class, we have read both the original story by Washington Irving and watched the Tim Burton directed movie version starring Johnny Depp. It is apparent from the first few scenes that the main character Ichabod Crane varies between the two versions. I myself have only watched the very beginning of the movie (I don't know if anyone has noticed the empty chair at the back of the class when the lights go down or not) so my idea of Burton's Crane is not as complete as my classmates. The Crane in the original is a school teacher, and a ladies man. He seems harmlessly lanky and a bit of an oddball but loves to favor the boys with pretty sisters or mothers. He also really reminds me of the Disney version (which I didn't get through either). Burton's Crane is a detective of sorts and also appears to be a lawyer who does not believe in the ways of the New York Courts. He has devices that look like the Edward Scissorhands costume at LACMA got robbed that somehow help him determine that the woman he exhumed was pregnant. I managed to figure this out in a few seconds after the "5 people in 4 graves" hint. It took him an autopsy and a blood soaked apron to figure out. He is not the brightest of people and I find him rather creepy, though that is the point of the movie I guess. My knowledge of the movie goes as far as the hermit in the woods sending Crane's manservant (boy) away. Personally I think the real Ichabod is better formed and is more believable, Burton's version is nothing but glorified Hollywood makeup and twisted fantasies. Maybe the end and the rest of the movie tell us more but I will not be venturing into that territory so my favorite Ichabod is the original.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment